Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Times Square By Pedi-Cab!

It was the perfect unplanned ending of a perfectly unplanned day in NYC!

It had started out pretty much the same way, unplanned, other than the visit to the city itself. (See my earlier posts from December 2012.) No time to really plan anything. Just get there & see what happens.

This was just a one day getaway. Hopefully, I would be back again soon. (Once a year is enough for "hubby". Not his real name! :) But, it was now evening. With two cameras, (one my husband so kindly carried), a day crammed with events, the crowds building as always seems to happen when it gets dark there, (where do they all come from???), cabs disappearing, "occupied", or zipping by at warp speed......yes, we were ready to head back home now.

So, while trying to flag down a cab (almost impossible at night!), and having already walked, walked & walked!... ... my husband finally decided to try for a pedi-cab. We had never taken one. I honestly don't even know that I had really even noticed them before. So, he went over to this guy with a "cab" that consisted of a very small, but, cute, sort of "buggy".......like a small hooded vehicle on wheels......kind of like, half of a very small car that was attached to a bicycle! Lol. Yes, words "fail" me here obviously, but I think you get the picture....actually, you will in a few minutes.  (Sorry, about that!...it is late, and I am trying to post this and get some sleep! I seriously don't do mornings well at all, so it's either the middle of the night for me, or, the middle of the day! :)

I should tell you...I tried to talk my husband out of taking the pedi-cab. I kept thinking sooner or later we would get a cab to our destination, but he had had enough walking for the day. So, even though I was able to get him to tell the first one to "forget it, we'll walk," half a block later, he went up to another one and asked, "how much?" This time, the cabbie was so nice, and when I thought the price was a little high, (a cab would definitely cost much less I thought), he (the cabbie) said, "but this is DIFFERENT!" with a really big smile. Okay, I got what I came there for, lots of photos, I was happy. They won. I climbed in.

As soon as this little thing started to get pedaled out into traffic on 49th Street, I immediately noticed how much closer EVERYTHING seemed! Buses, "real" cabs, police cars, whoa!!! EVERYTHING! Newspaper headings of, "NYC tourists in pedi-cab run over by......." ran through my mind. At first it was scary! NYC traffic literally in your face, your side, and behind you! But it didn't take long for the fun to begin, especially when I realized he was heading right down toward Broadway & Times Square!


























Speeding along in between all kinds of traffic, the beautiful lights were getting brighter & brighter!



























We were seeing Times Square in a completely different way than ever before, and we loved it! Keep in mind, most of these photos were taken with a small Canon while riding wildly along and bouncing here & there! (Which explains the occasional blur that I feel adds to the drama and was just perfect for the occasion! :)


Too cute, right?


Awesome!


 Just imagine the cool evening wind in your hair and the awesome sights & sounds of NYC traffic all around!


Heading down past ABC's Good Morning America Studios here.....and more to come!

See you later this week with more of "The City That (obviously) Never Sleeps"!

But now I must! Good night & sweet dreams to all :)

Keri







2 comments:

  1. Weeee! Wonderful! Are there many of these pedi cabs/ tuk tuks around in NYC? It seems like the perfect way to drink it all in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose there are enough of them. I just never paid any attention to them before. I have seen all kinds of transportation there, including bikes with LOTS of pedalers on one bike! I'll tell you, in and out of traffic in Times Square in one of these is NYC face to face! You really become a part of the wonderful madness! LOL! We loved it!

    ReplyDelete